Monday, November 9, 2015

Week 12 "Let's Play," MAIN POST prompt: BABR 8,9 Dalton, Ebooks, Digital storytelling, Ranker

Hi, all you lovely, wonderful people!

I'm sitting by my window, drinking instant coffee, and thinking about how much fun this one is going to be for me.


Let's see if this Blogger can take some gifs, which BTW is how teens and 20-somethings communicate online now days.




BAHAHAHA! It totally can.


Now take a look at what I'm saying with this GIF. It's a happy dance :-D. Rather than a photo or just saying I'm happy with this week's topic, I'm showing you and hopefully also giving you a bit of happy in the process.


Also take note of how the gif, versus words, makes you feel. Is it anxious because of the loop? (Because that was my first reaction to them) Is is also happy because you like Muppets as much as I do? Either way, its going to be a much deeper emotion; something you don't have to think about and just feel, yeah? This is what we do when we make something multimodal; we reach people at a more visceral level and encourage them to make up their own meaning to something.


And that's what we're doing with multimodal text for our iBook chapters and in this blog this week. I want to see you try to incorporate the medium I assign you in your questions and responses (I'm going to have you each make a short post) to the blog this week.

DO NOT DO THIS! When needing a paper bag, text us first!

Don't sweat it, though.


I know it's not totally part of our assignment for Dr. Beach, but I think it will help us with our chapters. If it's not working for you, text us. We can help. Or message us on here in the comments.


For this one, we're all supposed to read BABRs 8 and 9, and we split up the articles. We also have headings we're supposed to be addressing.


I will assign you each a heading and a mode. Please write a post, NOT a comment-a POST, titling it "Week 12" then anything you want, that gives us an idea of what your article says and what resources are available for your assigned heading (e.g., Week 12: Images, Dalton). 



Then, with other people's posts, we'll comment as that mode (don't worry, I'm going to write mine tonight as an example for you guys). 

It doesn't need to be amazing, just useful to you. I really do love you guys.
I also promise that it won't be as in depth as this blog post is. I'm not looking for Hamlet here--more like a haiku, if that makes sense.

Below is a list of which article you're assigned; which secondary mode you should try to use in your post and comments; and which 'heading' you will be paying attention to. Some are listed in Chapter 8, should you need a jumping off point.


I know we haven't used a lot of these in our previous blog posts, so I think now is the time to show we really know how to use Blogger.


So: Name-article || mode/medium to use || Heading/Mode to find resources for and wax philosophical about. And please, use these through our iBook making. We can support one another as "experts" on our modes to help the others integrate things as they need. I'd like to think of this week's blogs as more of a resource than a grade.


John-digital storytelling || video (of any of us, I think you can handle that one) || Video



Barbara-E-books || GIFs -- you should insert them like you would a photo. If Blogger doesn't accept them in comments, they will look like photos, which is totally okay. || Digital Storytelling/Poetry (as a writer, I suggest checking out Tumblr and "shiping" as well as Hello Poetry--and don't forget online comics!)

Mackinley-Dalton (leveling up!) || images || Images


Jackie-Ranker (because A/V is not my strong suit, but the rest is) || everything || Audio (which I know next to nothing about)


And if you are, in fact, not sure about how to do it, this handy-dandy video can help or, seriously, text me. (Be sure to have active Internet connection! Source: YouTube).


Be thinking about these things:


What is does this medium communicate that others don't?


How could it be best used multimodally and with what other modes would it be most useful/complimentary?


Where could we find information on this mode or maybe instructions on how best to use it?


What new information did your article help teach you that you can use in creating multimodal texts and projects?


What is most difficult about using this mode/medium? What is easiest, if anything?


Did the heading and mode you were assigned work well together? Why or why not? If not, did you find yourself using something else to communicate? Why did that work better?


What issues may come up when "remixing?" (copyright?) And how can we get around them? (Flickr? US photo repository?)


If you use any of the apps or sites listed in BABR, which ones did you like? What do you think works?


Like I said--not Shakespeare! You can answer as many or as few of these as you want or draw attention to something completely off the wall that you may prefer to talk about or that you feel is relevant to you. I want us to learn, not follow a format. These are just suggestions!


So, have a great day, look for my blog response tomorrow morning (or tonight), and remember . . .








3 comments:

  1. Hi Jacqueline, wow! It is a wonderful post! Thanks for letting us feel just Wow. :)
    Alight, I just visited right after getting your email saying the main posting is done; and it is again wow (sorry...haha). Okay, I'll read the post more carefully and get back to you guys after doing my missions/quests assigned here. lol. Let's have another fun and learning week. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was dancing following the rhythm that the Elmo and the gentleman were dancing with. lol, How powerful a multimodal text is!

      Delete